Actions you can take to help the horses.
In June 2010 MP Alex Atamanenko (NDP Agriculture Critic) tabled Bill C-544, an Act that would effectively have ended the transport of horses and horse meat for human consumption. The bill died due to the federal election being called. Then in October 2011, MP Atamanenko re-introduced the bill as Bill C-322. Bill C-322 has been replaced by Bill C-571.
Please go here to read about this important change.
Going forward, it is crucial to let our legislators know how Canadian citizens feel about the continuing slaughter of our horses for human consumption. English and French versions of a petition to support the enactment of Bill C-322 can be downloaded and printed here.
The CHDC also asks Canadians and Americans to contact Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the federal agencies responsible for the business of horse slaughter in Canada. Speak out for the horses. Tell them why it is wrong and demand that horse slaughter end!
These agencies are directed by:
Hon. Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health
Hon. Gerry Ritz
Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
781 Confederation Bldg., House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6
Tel: 613.995.7080 - Fax: 613.996.8472.
Dr. Bruce Archibald, President, Canadian Food Inspection Agency
1400 Merivale Rd., Tower 1, Floor 6, Ottawa, ON K1A 0Y9
Tel: 613.773.6000; Fax: 613.773.6060
Dr. Harpreet S. Kochhar, Chief Veterinary Officer for Canada, CFIA
Tel: 613.773.7472; Fax 613.228.6637
More Action: Let the opposition know that the welfare of horses in Canada is an important issue.
To contact MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau (NDP Agriculture Critic) click here. Please ask her to support MP Alex Atamanenko’s initiative.
To contact the MP Mark Eyking (Liberal Agriculture Critic) click here. Please ask him to support Bill C-571.
Send a letter to your Member of Parliament! Quick and easy; courtesy of Humane Society International.
Or contact your Member of Parliament via this link. Click on his or her name to find their contact information.
Email, send letters, fax or phone our legislators and ask them to support an end to horse slaughter. Remember to personalize your message and include your name and contact information. Key points can include:
- Horses have not traditionally been raised for human consumption in Canada. In our country, horses are considered sport and companion animals. Many Canadians believe that this industry must be abolished on humane grounds. 64% of Canadians do not support it.
- There are 5 federally licensed horse slaughter plants that are currently up and running in Canada.
- Horses are shipped in crowded trailers over long distances, and often arrive injured, sometimes fatally.
- The CHDC has documented evidence of horse neglect and abuse, as well as severe suffering as a result of poor slaughter practices (look under the Investigations tab above).
- Dr. Nicholas H. Dodman, of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, said of our June ’08 report:
“horses experienced sheer terror”, “some horses were not properly stunned”, “if people knew what was going on they would be up in arms” and “this practice should be banned”
- The Federal Health of Animals Act is not enforced, which would protect sick, pregnant and unfit horses, and prohibit overcrowding.
- The Recommended Code of Practice for Care and Handling of Farm Animals: Transportation of Horses is not enforced.
- The CFIA does not enforce their own weak rules that slaughter bound horses must not be transported for longer than 36 hours straight and must be provided with feed, water and rest at required intervals. Double decker trailers are still allowed.
- The horse slaughter process itself is not humane euthanasia.
Join our Alerts List! Receive emails on the latest developments and stay informed on actions you can take: click here
Download and distribute our flyer which contains much of the above information and more!
What are Action Alerts?
Action Alerts are email or website requests to write, fax or telephone your legislator, elected officials, corporate entities and occasionally individuals on issues affecting the welfare of our horses. To receive our alerts please email gro.adanacsesrohdnefednull@ofni.
When you receive an Action Alert from us, we will provide you with the relevant background, resources and contact information to take action responsibly and effectively.
If your e-mail address changes, please send us a quick note: gro.adanacsesrohdnefednull@ofni.
Join our email group!
Share news and your thoughts online with other horse defenders on Abolish Horse Slaughter Canada.
Visit the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition Supporters Facebook page.
We’re blogging now – see here for daily updates on news and matters concerning horses and industry.
Support our work by donating to the Canadian Horse Defense Coalition: click here